SUSTAINABLE TOURISM | Resources
Urban sustainability is often talked about without looking at tourism as an integral part of development and promotion of a city. As 50% of the world’s population live in cities, there is clearly a need to address issues of sustainable tourism as well as general sustainability and good governance.
Urban ecotourism or urban green tourism can also be looked at as urban sustainability and exists in many forms. Urban ecotourism is often seen as a contradiction in terms however, the principals of ecotourism should be applied to all natural areas of tourism – especially for urban sustainability to develop (urban areas have culturally and environmentally sensitive areas too).
For more information about urban sustainability, check out the following resources:
- Green Tourism Association (although no longer in operation, this organization was one of the first worldwide. Publications on this initiative can be found here)
- Calvia Local Agenda 21 approach
- Sustainable Cities Project
- Green Map – green maps worldwide
- Urban Secretariat of UN-Habitat
- European Cities
- Sustainable Urban Tourism
- Smart Communities Network
- Cambridge Sustainable City
- Minnesota Green Routes – a statewide green tourism initiative directs people to places where they can get locally grown foods, green attractions, events and places to stay
Click here to read research papers about urban ecotourism .