SUSTAINABLE TOURISM | Eco Tourism Certification
Eco Tourism Certification
For information about ecotourism and general tourism certification programs, check out:
- Mohonk Agreement – The framework and principles for the certification of ecotourism and sustainable tourism which was agreed upon by multiple parties within the tourism sector
Ecotourism Association of Ecuador (ASEC)
- Certification for Sustainable Tourism (Costa Rica) CST was designed to differentiate tourism sector businesses based on the degree to which they comply with a sustainable model of natural, cultural and social resource management, however, it is mainly ecolodges which have been certified.
- Ecotourism Australia – Also check out The International Ecotourism Standard has been developed by the Ecotourism Association of Australia in conjunction with the Cooperative Research Centre (CRC) for Sustainable Tourism of Australia.
- SmartVoyager certification program is an Ecuadorian nonprofit group — and the Rainforest Alliance, SmartVoyager minimizes the impact of tour boats in the Galapagos Islands by improving social and environmental conditions of boat operations.
- Ecotourism Certification Workshop – held by Planeta.com
the Sustainable Tourism Stewardship Council (STSC) feasibility study, coordinated by the Rainforest Alliance is available at http://www.rainforestalliance.org, which presented its final conclusions in early 2003. An 18-month worldwide consultation process concluded that there is a need to create regional platforms to disseminate information about certification and to address key issues such as the participation of small and medium-sized and community based certification operations, financial sustainability, marketing, monitoring and evaluation and accreditation.
- Green Key Program in Morocco
The project was established in 2008 by the Ministry and currently has over 40 certified properties.